Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Onward to Drass


To see Tiger Hill, Tololing...

Drass is the second coldest inhabited place in the world, next to someplace in Siberia, a fact which the locals are proud of mentioning...

Picture of Drass Town.

The Tololing peak taken back from Pakistanis by Col Ravindranath


Tiger Hill - Remember Vikram Batra, taken back from the intruding Pakistanis.. It is really cold here at night.. And some of us can climb up while being fired upon by Pakis and then drive them away! Cool!

According to locals, this peak below still belongs to Pakistan, who used to fire on the same highway that I am travelling in, during the Kargil war, 1999. At some places, there are boards mentioning "Under the range of enemy artillery fire"... I was looking for the Pakis, but my zoom aint good enough.. :)

With Lt Modgil, Drass Sector, pic taken by Maj LS Tanwar, Ladakh Scouts

And then I met this man... who claims that he was a spy for India (CBI! I thought R&AW did the international work... anyway) and travelled widely in Pakistan.. Makes fantastic claims about his job.. and refused to believe that I was not a spy or had some dark secret.. kept probing, has taken my number.. I expect a call sometime in the future with some secret codewords etc.. what have I gotten myself into!!! just a cup of chai i hope.

Now to Srinagar... For some reason, I have to go back to Kargil, take the same route to Drass onward to Srinagar... I will be going via the Zojila Pass, made famous by the millions of plunderers that took this route for a taste of India, for millenia.....

No comments: